From time to time someone will come to me who just wants a session or two to get advice on something going on in his or her life. I am happy to work on your agenda in your time frame. To make the most of your time with me I'd like to offer a few things you can do before our first meeting. These are not requirements but if you want to get the most out of your investment, following some of the tips below is sure to help.
1. Write out your question as you would like to ask it. Think about what sort of background information I will need in order to understand the situation. Consider what details are important and which ones you can leave out of the story.
2. Write out the history related to the question you are asking about. (When did the problem start? What happened next? Where are you now?) Writing will help you organize things in a logical order. Consider making a list or an outline.
3. If your question involves another person, think about your history with that person. How would you describe him/her? Have you always felt that way about him? What do other people think of her?
Examples of things clients come to me for advice on:
- career changes
- problems at work
- falling out with a friend
- family disputes
- parenting questions
- deciding to end a relationship
- getting engaged
- planning a wedding
- weight loss plan
- school decisions
- managing boundaries between parents and adult children.
- decisions regarding the care of an ailing parent or family member.
Caelin Hanna, LPC -- 601-397-4273 -- email@example.com